Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Calorimetry

Okay - a little background here.

I have wanted to make this pattern since the first time I saw it. My head stays cold in the winter for exactly the reasons she states in her pattern. I have long hair which makes a hat pretty uncomfortable (and stupid looking really.)

So I started and finished this guy yesterday. However, this was actually the second time I started it. I had one that I got over halfway done and had to completely frog. The yarn was too bulky for it to not be huge. Or so I thought.

I cast on 110 stitches instead of 120. I should have made it 96. Then I also only stitched my decrease rows until I had 30 stitches outside of my markers (as opposed to 38.) I should have made it 26. And actually my gauge was dead on for once. *sigh*

This guy is HUGE for me! That being said, I do have a smallish head. But it's just that - smallish. It's not tiny. I can only suppose that this pattern was originally made for someone who either knits ridiculously tightly or has a really large head.

All of that being said, I will likely make another of these - just with major pattern alterations. The concept and style is great. The pattern just didn't quite work out as I would have hoped.

No comments: