Thursday, September 23, 2010

Missing my buddy

4.5 years ago my mom passed away. She was my buddy. That was the first thing that my step-dad said to me when she was gone, "You're going to really miss your buddy."

He was right. I do. Every day.

This week has really been rough. The 21st was mom's birthday. One more reason to miss my buddy. Then today, my other buddy moved. :-(

Nine months after my mom passed away we got a new neighbor next door. This is always a worrisome event. It's a rental house, and it's relatively cheap. We've had a string of redneck, howl-at-the-moon-at-3 am kind of folks. Then this family moves in. They're not from 'round here. They're from Arizona.

I hesitate to introduce myself, but a couple of weeks after they move in, she does. Her name is Cathie and we spend the next half hour chatting. Both of us have other places we need to be, but we couldn't stop talking. Over time, we get to be friends, really good friends. Before I realized what happened, I had another buddy.

She's the kind of person that actually laments never having had the chance to meet my mom. She makes me laugh. She says things I would NEVER say!! She inspires me to strive to be more conscious of the things I say and do. She believes in me more than I believe in myself.

And...

Today I lost my buddy. :-(

Fortunately, I've only lost her to Phoenix. But I'm going to miss her terribly. I'm getting weepy just thinking of it. I keep looking out the window - wondering where the van is, looking for her kids. And it makes me sad.

It can be okay though. I'll miss our Sunday thrift store shopping, and having someone to go to Target with at 8pm, but at least I can hop on a plane to go see Cat - that's a definite improvement. So I'll see somewhere new and hang on to this buddy.


Buddy Mom, meet Buddy Cat.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

beautiful
i'm tearing up myself reading your post
big hugs to you and both of your buddies.
so which pic was your mom and which your friend?
rebeccawip

Sara said...

Thanks Rebecca -

The first pic is mom, the second, Cathie. :-) Guess I'll just have to finally go see the other side of the country now!

Mel said...

(((((((((( SB ))))))))))

It's hard, huh?
We keep movin'...and we keep loving cuz that's how we're made.